Thursday, February 13, 2014

Adressing the Teen Fiction Cliché

I have no problem with cliche fiction, in fact, I feel that the thing about teen fiction is that it has to be sort of fake. Every once in a while, you get a writer who writes teen fiction and completely destroys the cliche we (or I, if no one's with me) love and brings some new insight to the table. If all teen fiction writers were realistic, then the image of teen fiction would be completely different. So I'd like to thank every fiction writer out there that has written every heart-warming, sob-worty, cliche story out there, because you are the reason I actually read.

I'm here to talk about some of the components that make up these books, because as I read more and more of these books, there's a few different outlines they follow.

So, most of these books either take place in the present or in the dystopian future. The character (who tends to be a girl in a lot of the books I read) is usually poor or middle class. They then develop into the hero of the book with the help of two people, and occasionally one person, who are in love with them. This then creates the dilemma of who she's going to choose; creating another major plot. The obstacle is always the head of authority because they rebel against their awful and unfair society. In my opinion, the reason a lot of dystopian-future-fiction writers are able create a trilogy or series of books is because of the love dilemma. Sure, the part where their being interrogated or running through military-enforced areas is always something to look forward to, but if I really don't like a book, I just skip to the end to see who they end up with.

As for books that take place in the present, and aren't supernatural or dystopian The love issue is still the same. (The main character for the books I read almost always a girl so I'm going to refer to the character as she.) There are always one or two people she's in love with and it's up to her who she chooses. There's always some trust issues, a loyal best friend, a major flaw or insecurity, and hopefully a twist to make the repetitive plot a little more interesting. 

So after writing this post, this is the conclusion I've come to: a lot of teen fiction stories are similar; but we read them anyways because there's always something that makes it stand out amond the rest. I

 may sound like a hypocrite because my title makes it seem a whole lot like I'm going to criticize teen fiction but really, I think I should be giving some credit to all the teen fiction authors who actually had the talent to make their story stand out in the bookshelves of Barnes and Noble on a paragraph located on the back cover of the book. 

3 comments:

  1. I really do find it over- redundant . With books like Hunger Games and Divergent, even the Giver, you will know this thing sells. Heck, some of these books are being turned into movies. I just wonder what the new trend is like in thirty years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where your coming from and agree completely-most teen fiction books follow the story line you outlined. It gets a little boring after a while- but since each story is a variation of the usual synopsis, it keeps teen fiction readers interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out more classical teen fiction. It is not a formulaic. There tends to be more of an inner struggle, as opposed to outward actions, or events.

    ReplyDelete